Monday, April 3, 2017

Madurodam

So much left to see, where do you go?  The kids and I were to venture out on our own and there were a million and one things left that I wanted to do.  I guess that means a return trip.  The original plan was for us to to into Amsterdam, take a canal tour, go to Anne Franke's home, see Van Gogh's museum and the list goes on. However, when I started mapping the walking routes to the sites, all of them took me through the heart of the red light district.  Hmmm....I'm not exactly ready to talk about those things (pot and companions) with the kids.

Plan B was recommended by several people - Madurodam.

What better way to see all of the Netherlands in one place.

Madurodam is a miniature park and tourist attraction in the Scheveningen district of The Hague in the Netherlands. It is home to a range of 1:25 scale model replicas of famous Dutch landmarks, historical cities and large developments (wikipedia).



Madurodam was named after George Maduro, a Jewish law student from Curaçao who fought the Nazi occupation forces as a member of the Dutch resistance and died at Dachau concentration camp in 1945. In 1946, Maduro was posthumously awarded the Medal of Knight Fourth class of the Military Order of William, the highest and oldest military decoration in the Kingdom of the Netherlands, for the valor he had demonstrated in the Battle of the Netherlands against German troops.  (wikipedia). 

We watched a film on him and it was fascinating and the kids were in awe of his bravery. This trip has definitely opened their eyes to some of the realities of World War 2, Hitler and the Dutch resistance. I am thankful google is around to let me brush up on a little (ok, a lot) of my history. 

Kids with a picture of George Maduro's family outside the theater.

This day was So.Much.Fun.  In fact, I threw out the plans to go by the peace palace and on to Delft to see where the Delft pottery is made because we spent the entire day exploring the miniature country, doing the activities - such as weighing ourself in cheese, putting the dam down to prevent flooding, learning fun facts (45 million flowers are sold worldwide a DAY & 2-3 new flowers are engineered every day) and there was a pirate park that the kids spent 2 hours playing on.  We haven't seen a lot of sun in England this spring, so it was nice to spend some down time letting them just be kids!


Amsterdam Miniature Airport

Shutting the damn before the water floods Amsterdam.
Swinging in the park.

Upside down as Hope and Grayson push me for a change!

Trying on some giant wooden shoes.



Of course they had their own tribute to the tulips....the tulip field that was 27 times taller than a real tulip.



Madurodam's own tulip field:


I have been a bit sad this March with all my friends posting their kids in the bluebonnets. Just one of the many things I miss about Texas.  However, this is my compromise, kids in the tulips, and it makes me just as happy. The colors were outstanding.


No comments:

Post a Comment