Saturday, April 29, 2017

Mt. St. Charleston Half Marathon


 Race Day! We were up bright and early to be bussed up the mountain, well, halfway up the mountain for those of us running the half marathon. The view was absolutely stunning.  As we were running down the song, "Oh Lord, Oh Lord how majestic is your name in all of the earth" kept running through my head.  Breathtaking. Stunning.

We couldn't have asked for better weather. Maybe a little less wind, but otherwise perfect race conditions. I can't complain too much about the wind, because for the majority of the race it was at our backs and carrying me. So, combine that with a downhill course and it was a day to fly, and fly we did.


On the bus watching the sun rise over Mount St. Charleston

Around mile 7 - mountain pulling me, wind pushing me. I love that I look like I am flying.
At mile 13, you turned the corner, headed into the 20 mph gusts and sprinted it out. Tuck head and run, which is why my head is down in this finishing line picture.


Four minute PR at 1:36:20 which guarantees entry into New York marathon 2018. I started yelling and screaming at the finish line, "we are going to New York."   Mayra and I were aiming for it and both needed a 1:37 to achieve it. She crushed the course at a 1:34.  

Many of our team PR'd the course. Here is the first four to come through with a PR.


Mayra, Jen, Jon and Penny (14 min PR - winner of the day)
We changed clothes and went back out on the course to cheer on our full marathon buddies.  It was fun to run Kim in her final mile and a half. Everyone keeps asking me why I was smiling in the picture. My response, "because I was smart enough to run the half."  




Downhill kills your calves and quads....helping Kim work it out.


Finishers!


Union Jack shoes - present from Jamison to wear at the race.


We finished the afternoon off with a pedicure.



The last fun thing happened that night.  We learned that the Volte half marathon team placed 5th overall. What was more exciting is that we were the first all female team!


Happy Trails until we meet again....New York bound.

No comments:

Post a Comment