Thursday, August 24, 2017

Hurst Castle

The kids and I decided to take a break from unpacking and to go exploring. We chose Hurst Castle at Milford on the Sea. It was about an hour drive from our house. The castle was built by King Henry VII as a fortress and was completed in the year 1544.  It was also used to man coastal battery guns during WWII. While we were there, an exhibit was up on WWII and the D-Day invasion. The Kids and I were able to see uniforms, cannons and a depiction of how the troops went from England over to France. It made us incredibly thankful for all the lives that have been given for our freedom.

Waiting to take the ferry ride across.  It was windy which gave us all a bit of a chill.






The kids loved walking down the old tracks inside the castle.



Of course they wanted to sit on the cannons.


Grayson, "mom look at the size of this." The picture hardly does it justice. The cannon took up the entire room.



For the record, this was the road I drove down to get us home.  It was 2 way, and I wonder why I have aged since living here. The driving scares me!

No comments:

Post a Comment